Simple question: is there a way to compile R scripts to native code?  If not is
there anything else that might improve speed?  I'm not even sure that R
compiles internally to byte code or not.  I assume it does since all modern
languages seem to do this.  Maybe there's a JIT compiler?  Yes, I have searched
Google and get lots of stuff that's seems confusing.  I just want to know what
packages to install and how to use them to generate binaries if they exist.