On Feb 6, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Alaios wrote:

My bad..

these are the real matrices

G<-DiagonalGaussian( NumberOfImagePixels,sd=Gsd)
str(G)
 num [1:16384, 1:16384] 1400 0 0 0 0 ...
S<-PointSamplingMatrix(EffectiveSensors,NumberOfImagePixels)
str(S)
 num [1:10650, 1:16384] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...
A<-S %*% G

You seems confused about the size of your objects. You earlier said they were [128,128] which we took to mean 128 x 128 matrices, they are far larger than that. I'm guessing that you are consuming all of your RAM and paging out to disk. But that is just a guess since you provided none of the system information that the Posting Guide suggests.

--
David.

_______________________________
From: R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weyla...@gmail.com>

Cc: Paul Hiemstra <paul.hiems...@knmi.nl>; "R-help@r-project.org" <R-help@r-project.org >
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2012 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [R] R enterprise for linux

Are you sure?

I just ran

N <- 128
system.time(matrix(rnorm(N^2),N) %*% matrix(rnorm(N^2),N))

and it took less than 0.044s on my (old-ish) laptop while doing other
things (and that includes the expensive rng calls). There might be
some other issues in play here. Even N <- 1280 takes < 5 seconds with
the rng call.

Michael

Actually, I would like to speed up matrix multiplication

which is really too slow.
MatrixA %*% MatrixB (each one is a [128,128] table) is running four hours now... and just imagine that I want to calculate many of those.

Which other alternative do I have?

Regards
Alex