I agree this is a LaTeX on Windows issue -- it is a shame that LaTex is unable to accept valid file paths on the platform it runs on (using \ as a path separator is also a problem).

I've changed 2.7.0-alpha to use the short path to Sweave.sty, as given by shortPathName() but with / as path separator. That seems the magic needed to get at least MikTeX's executables to accept the path.