Hello R Help!

I would like to make a legible boxplot of tree growth rates for each of
seven tree species at each of seven different sites. It's a lot of data to
put on one figure, I know. I made a beautiful, interpretable figure using
color, but my target journal can't deal with color figures. I can use seven
shades of grey to fill the boxes, but the figure then becomes
uninterpretable - the colors of adjacent boxes are too similar. I cannot
figure out how to add a pattern, hatching, or cross-hatching to the boxes.

I see that in 2003 Professor Ripley confirmed that one cannot hatch
boxplots:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/03a/2622.html

Is this still true? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for how to make
this figure interpretable in black and white? Should I pick a different
target journal?

Many thanks,

Gabe

Functional code to make the color figure with fake data follows:
#
leg.txt = c("Abies grandis","Acer macrophyllum","Calocedrus
decurrens","Pinus ponderosa","Pseudotsuga meziensii","Quercus
garryana","Quercus kelloggii")
site.txt = c("Brownsville","Chip Ross","Finley","Jim's
Creek","Lowell","Mount Pisgah","South Eugene")
colors = c("gray","red","white","blue","yellow","purple","orange")
# Fake data here:
site = rep(site.txt, each = 21)
sp = rep(rep(leg.txt, each = 3), times = 7)
ga = runif(147, 0, 20)
datnew.lo = data.frame(site,sp,ga)
# Now make the plot:
boxplot(ga~sp*site,data=datnew.lo, range = 1,
        col = colors,
        ylim = c(0,30),
        xaxt = "n",
        xlab = "Site",
        ylab = "Basal Area Growth Increment",
        main = "Basal Area Growth Increment by Site and Species")
axis(1, at = c(4,11,18,25,32,39,46),
     labels = site.txt,
     )
abline(v = 7.5, lty = 3)
abline(v = 14.5, lty = 3)
abline(v = 21.5, lty = 3)
abline(v = 28.5, lty = 3)
abline(v = 35.5, lty = 3)
abline(v = 42.5, lty = 3)
legend("topright", legend = leg.txt, fill = colors, bg = "white")