Dear John,

That's most helpful. Thank you.

MK

On Mar 8, 2012, at 9:03 PM, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Michael and Spencer,
>
> I've modified the development version of the effects package on R-Forge so
> that the nlme and lme4 packages are listed under "Suggests" rather than
> "Depends". In this way,  neither package is loaded along with effects.
>
> Best,
> John
>
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:45:37 -0500
> Michael Kubovy <kub...@virginia.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Spencer,
>>
>> In an Sweave script, which would take me too long to boil down to a
>> reproducible example, lme4 was loaded before effects, and a calculation
>> involving the effect() function failed. This was remedied by following
>> John's advice and loading the two packages in the order he recommended at
>> the beginning of the run. The problem went away.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, no such warning was issued, or at least none was
>> noticed by me, because I'm caching many computations, which may hide
>> warnings.
>>
>> MK
>>
>> On Mar 8, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>>
>>> Dear John, et al.:
>>>
>>>     What happens if lme4 is loaded before the effect package?
>>>
>>>     Is this an issue of a user wanting to use two different packages with
>>> potentially conflicting names?  What are the standard recommendations for
>>> handling issues like this?  Just to test my comprehension, I assume that
>>> the key is that users should routinely watch for warnings of name conflicts
>>> and follow the advice of sect. "1.6.1 Specifying imports and exports" of
>>> "Writing R Extensions" when that occurs?  (This is another reason for
>>> writing R packages and using namespaces, so users can record appropriately
>>> what they want in situations like this and not have to worry about name
>>> conflicts later?)
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>     Spencer

>>> Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
>>> President and Chief Technology Officer
>>> Structure Inspection and Monitoring, Inc.
>>> 751 Emerson Ct.
>>> San José, CA 95126
>>> ph:  408-655-4567
>>> web:  www.structuremonitoring.com

Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
for mail add:                                           for FedEx or UPS add:
P.O.Box 400400                                  Gilmer Hall, Room 102
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400  485 McCormick Road
USA                                                     Charlottesville, VA
22903
                room    phone
Office:    B011 +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019        +1-434-982-4751