Thank you fro the reply.
I managed to arrive till here, then I would like to have it in matrix where the $1 $2...$5 are the first column.

Il 3/13/2012 8:15 PM, William Dunlap ha scritto:
Is the following what you want?
   >  a<- c(1,2,3,4,4,4,5,5)
   >  b<- c(11,7,4,9,8,3,12,4)
   >  split(b, a)
   $1
   [1] 11

   $2
   [1] 7

   $3
   [1] 4

   $4
   [1] 9 8 3

   $5
   [1] 12  4

Here I did

c <- split(b, a)
d <- do.call(rbind,c)

and I get

  [,1] [,2] [,3]
1   11   11   11
2    7    7    7
3    4    4    4
4    9    8    3
5   12    4   12

Instead of what I would like:

  [,1] [,2] [,3]
1   11
2    7
3    4
4    9    8    3
5   12    4

A solution could be rbind.fill , which does not seem to work with list.

thanks
Marco Guerzoni,
Department of Economics
University of Turin

Note that your df<-cbind(a,b) produces a matrix, not the data.frame
that your df suggests you want.  Use df<-data.frame(a,b) to make
a data.frame.  Then you could do with(df, split(a,b)) to operate on
the a and b in the data.frame df.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com