On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Shengyun Peng wrote:

I downloaded R from http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/, with the linux version.
But after compile, I don't know how to start 64 bit R, as there is only
one R executable under bin folder, not alike windows version which have
two executables.

  If your system has a 64-bit version of the distribution installed then
that's how applications are built. You start it by typing 'R' (without the
quotes) on the command line. Linux is not Microsoft.

Other than that, I want to build a matrix 65536 rows by 65536 columns, but
the system tells me: Error in matrix(0, 65536, 65536) : too many elements
specified. So, I want to know if there's anything I can do to achieve that
and that's one reason I need 64 bit R.

  How much memory do you have installed?

Rich