Hello,

I am trying to construct two matrices, F and V, composed of partial derivatives and then find the eigenvalues of F*Inverse(V). I have the following equations in ryacas notation:

> library(Ryacas)
> FIh <- Expr("betah*Sh*Iv")
> FIv <- Expr("betav*Sv*Ih")
> VIh <- Expr("(muh + gamma)*Ih")
> VIv <- Expr("muv*Iv")

I successfully found the partial derivatives:

> f11 <- deriv(FIh, "Ih")
> f12 <- deriv(FIh, "Iv")
> f21 <- deriv(FIv, "Ih")
> f22 <- deriv(FIv, "Iv")
> v11 <- deriv(VIh, "Ih")
> v12 <- deriv(VIh, "Iv")
> v21 <- deriv(VIv, "Ih")
> v22 <- deriv(VIv, "Iv")

Next I would like to put these partial derivatives into two matrices, F and V:

> F <- Expr("{{f11, f12}, {f21, f22}}")
> V <- Expr("{{v11, v12}, {v21, v22}}")

Finally, I would like to find the eigenvalues of F*Inverse(V). Something like:

>  yacas("EigenValues(F*Inverse(V))")

However, this does not work.  I get the following error message:

In function "While" : bad argument number 1 (counting from 1)The offending argument $ii49<= $nr49 evaluated to Not Length-1<0CommandLine(1) : Invalid argument

According to Mathematica, the correct eigenvalues are:

{-((Sqrt[betah] Sqrt[betav] Sqrt[Sh] Sqrt[Sv])/Sqrt[gamma muv + muh muv]),
   (Sqrt[betah] Sqrt[betav] Sqrt[Sh] Sqrt[Sv])/Sqrt[gamma muv + muh muv]}

I don't understand the error message. Any suggestions on how to get the correct eigenvalues using R would be greatly appreciated. I'm using R 2.14.0.

Sincerely,
Adam

--
Adam Zeilinger