From: Tyler Ritchie <tyler.ritc...@gmail.com>

@r-project.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [R] Apt-get

Beltrand was also on the mark, suggesting you add Michael Rutter's ppa to your
repository sources.

In both cases (adding  the CRAN Ubuntu repositories or Michael Rutter's ppa),
an additional package repository is added to your system's packages. apt then
checks that repository along with the other Ubuntu repositories and exposes the
relevant binary R packages that Michael Rutter is curating.

So, your IS people are correct in saying that the latest version of R available
through the Ubuntu packages is 2.13.1, but there are more up to date R
repositories to use. If you don't have the system rights to add any additional
repositories, you'll need your IS folks to add them for you.

-Tyler