On 23/03/2012 18:43, Fretheim, Alexander H wrote:

To whomever it may concern,

I'm a young Industrial Engineer working on Senior Design at Georgia
Tech and have found the StructTS method to be excellent for the
training set for my forecasting project. There's only one problem: I
don't actually understand what a Structural Time Series IS. I've
looked up resources on it, and get that essentially you're dividing
the Time Series in to additive components dependent on time, but have
no idea how your method works or why. I've also looked at the
documentation, which is great from a programmers standpoint and gives
at least a basic format but without any idea as to how optimization
occurs. Would you be able to even just supply some C code (which I
could open in notebook, hopefully) showing how the method
works/optimizes/heuristically recommends and why?

This is what references are for.  From ?StructTS: