Thanks very much for the response. That was a very good article and gives me a good appreciation for the history and covers the structure of the two date/time formats well.

What I was specifically looking for is a feel for the situations when one format should be used over the other. In my work, I have gotten the impression that I should just use POSIXct for general useability in functions and graphics until I need to extract specific date components such as month, day, year, etc. In those instances, just convert to POSIXlt and extract needed info. Is this mostly accurate? More generally, is there a resource that summarizes which date/time objects to use under which conditions? So far, I have mostly been learning by trial/error/web searching which eventually is effective, but can be quite slow.

Thanks
Steve

Steven R. Corsi        Phone: (608) 821-3835
Research Hydrologist   email: srco...@usgs.gov
U.S. Geological Survey
Wisconsin Water Science Center
8505 Research Way