Try the R-Sig-Geo mailing list for a better target community, but if these
are shapefiles there is read support in rgdal (or maptools for a simpler
alternative) and if these are in long-lat like the maps package then
plot(x, add=TRUE) will be most of the way there.

If you need to transform either layer then see spTransform or project in
rgdal.

Cheers, Mike

On Sunday, April 1, 2012, chuck.01 wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to use map("state") and have the ecoregion shape (please see link)
> file projected onto this.
>
> ftp://ftp.epa.gov/wed/ecoregions/cec_na/NA_CEC_Eco_Level3.zip
> ftp://ftp.epa.gov/wed/ecoregions/cec_na/NA_CEC_Eco_Level3.zip
>
> Could someone please show me how; I have never messed with this sort of
> thing.
> Thanks.

Michael Sumner
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, University of Tasmania
Hobart, Australia
e-mail: mdsum...@gmail.com