Hi Jim,

I just wanted to know if there is a function in R that can tell you whether a
file on the internet exists before you attempt to download it or whether there
is a way of handling the error you get in the download.file() function without
having it break a for loop with the download error when it is part of that loop.
Kind Regards
Chib

> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:33:35 -0500> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [R] download.file error> CC: r-help@r-project.org> >
> ?try> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM, CHIB CO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:>
> > Dear all,> >> > I am looking for a way to work out if a file on the
> internet exists before attempting to download it using the function
> download.file(). For example,> > using a url that does not exist> >> > url <-
> "http://finance.yahoo.com/ftse.csv";> > destfile <- tempfile()> >
> download.file(url = url, destfile = destfile)> >> > # gives the following
> response ...> >> > trying URL 'http://finance.yahoo.com/ftse.csv'> > Error in
> download.file(url = url, destfile = destfile) :> > cannot open URL
> 'http://finance.yahoo.com/ftse.csv'> > In addition: Warning message:> > In
> download.file(url = url, destfile = destfile) :> > cannot open: HTTP status
> was '404 Not Found'> >> > When I am using the download.file() function in a
> loop over multiple URLs, th!
 e above error will cause the loop to terminate, so I want to avoid this by
checking if the file exists first then wrapping the subsequent functions in an
if() statment. The original fault came from the function get.hist.quote() in
the "tseries" package. I was trying to iterate over various stocks, but some
stocks listed in the yahoo website do not have any downloadable data associated
with them, which causes the loop to terminate. The "workhorse" function of
get.hist.quote() is the download.file() function.> >> > Kind Regards> >> >
Win 100's of Virgin Experience days with BigSnapSearch.com> >> > [[alternative
guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html> > and provide commented,
minimal, self-contain!
 ed, reproducible code.> >> >> > > > -- > Jim Holtman> Cincinnati, OH>
+1 513 646 9390> > What is the problem you are trying to solve?