Hi,
I run R on a unix server and login from a Mac with ssh -X. When I want to run a
graphics function like hist, I get the following x11 message:

Error in X11(d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize, d$gamma, d$colortype,
:
  unable to start device X11cairo
In addition: Warning message:
In function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :
  unable to open connection to X11 display ''

Do I need any library like cairo installed on my local Mac?

I also set LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" in my profile

Cheers,

Carol