Hi Duncan

Thank you for the tips

I tried

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

but it still bailed up.

tried showNonASCII on the file with the ° typed as Alt-248 (used to doing as DOS value)
becomes Alt-176 in ASCII

% 1° line
resulted in
483: % 1<b0> line

The showNonASCII is a nifty function

Duncan

At 22:32 12/04/2012, you wrote:
On 12-04-12 12:13 AM, Duncan Mackay wrote:

At 12:03 12/04/2012, you wrote:
I had the same problem! So, as I'm a linux user,
I prefer use linux terminal. On terminal I type this to compile

R CMD Sweave --encoding=utf-8 myfile.Rnw

and the compilation is successful. Try to set the encoding option in Sweave().

Bests.
Walmes.

Walmes Marques Zeviani
LEG (Laboratório de Estatística e Geoinformação, 25.450418 S, 49.231759 W)
Departamento de Estatística - Universidade Federal do Paraná
fone: (+55) 41 3361 3573
VoIP: (3361 3600) 1053 1173
e-mail:<mailto:wal...@ufpr.br>wal...@ufpr.br
twitter: @walmeszeviani
homepage:<http://www.leg.ufpr.br/%7Ewalmes>http://www.leg.ufpr.br/~walmes
linux user number: 531218

Hi Walmes

Thank you very much. That appears to be the problem.
When I typed from the DOS terminal

R CMD Sweave --encoding=utf-8 ParasiteComb12.Rnw

it compiled the tex file without any error messages.

I have not really got into font encoding and
reading the Sweave manual I thought that what I had done would be sufficient.

I found an old note which gave a reference to
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e10/help/10/05/4725.html
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e10/help/10/05/4889.html
but that appears to be specific.

The ?Sweave and the Sweave manual appear to be
more specific about the latex side.

After having a look at iconvlist()  and bearing
in mind Duncan Murdoch's comments about windows I tried

Sweave("D:/Cic/Sweave/Parasite/Comb/12/ParasiteComb12.Rnw",
encoding = "UTF-8")

from the Rgui command window and compiled without any problems
When I had a look at the tex file there were a
few DOS Alt-248 (degree symbol ) within latex
comments which were added last running R2.14 before updating

That doesn't sound like UTF-8 encoding, it sounds like Latin-1. So declaring it to be UTF-8 will eventually cause you some problems, when you put some of those characters in a place that LaTeX processes. You can avoid the problem by putting this line in your Rnw file:

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

as the ?Sweave help page says. Or, just delete those non-ASCII characters. There's a function in the tools package to detect them: see ?tools::showNonASCII.

Duncan Murdoch

Removing them and re running without the encoding
argument brought things back to normal.

I tried as a test
\SweaveOpts{encoding="UTF8"}
but that appears not to work

All I have to do now is to put the extra argument
into my text editors clip library for Sweave for
next time when I cannot solve things.
Its been a long week !

Regards

Duncan