On 12/04/2012 2:27 PM, John Fox wrote:
Dear René,

I've confirmed that the spheres aren't coloured correctly on my Ubuntu system
(the first colour is used for all of the spheres), and I know that this works
right on Windows, as you mentioned. I'm curious to try it on my Mac, but don't
have that handy at the moment.

I also looked at the code for scatter3d.default(), and that is pretty
straightforward; scatterplot3d.default() draws the spheres with the command

     rgl.spheres(x, y, z, color = surface.col[as.numeric(groups)],
                 radius = size)

I'm copying this response to Duncan Murdoch (the coauthor and maintainer of the
rgl package) in case he has any insight into the problem.

Thank you for drawing this issue to my attention.

Calling rgl.spheres looks dangerous to me: the rgl.* functions make permanent changes to material properties. Generally it's safer to call spheres3d, as all of the *3d versions of functions make local changes.

But there should be no differences in that between Ubuntu and Windows. Can you put together a simple example that does give differences? For example, on Windows this gives 5 different colours:

rgl.spheres(1:5, 1:5, 1:5, col=1:5, radius=(1:5)/10)

My preferred version would be

spheres3d(1:5, 1:5, 1:5, col=1:5, radius=(1:5)/10)

Do they behave the same?

Duncan Murdoch