I thought this was kinda cool!  Here's my solution, its not robust or
probably efficient....

I'd to hear improvements or other solutions!

Justin

sq.test <- function(a, b) {
  ## test for number pairs that sum to squares.
  sqrt(sum(a, b)) == floor(sqrt(sum(a, b)))
}

ok.pairs <- function(n, vec) {
  ## given n as a member of vec,
  ## which other members of vec satisfiy sq.test
  vec <- vec[vec!=n]
  vec[sapply(vec, sq.test, b=n)]
}

grow.seq <- function(y) {
  ## given a starting point (y) and a pairs list (pl)
  ## grow the squaring sequence.
  ly <- length(y)
  if(ly == y[1]) return(y)

  ## this line is the one that breaks down on other number sets...
  y <- c(y, max(pl[[y[ly]]][!pl[[y[ly]]] %in% y]))
  y <- grow.seq(y)

  return(y)
}

## start vector
x <- 1:17

## get list of possible pairs
pl <- lapply(x, ok.pairs, vec=x)

## pick start at max since few combinations there.
y <- max(x)
grow.seq(y)