On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:26 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

On Apr 16, 2012, at 2:43 PM, David A Vavra wrote:

Thanks Petr,

I'm after T1 + T2 + T3 + ...

Which would be one number ... i.e. the result you originally said you did not want.

and your solution is giving a list of n items
each containing sum(T[i]). I guess I should have been clearer in stating
what I need.

Or even now you _could_ be clearer. Do you want successive partial sums? That would yield to:

Reduce("+", listoftables, accumaulate=TRUE)

If Dunlap's interpretation is corect then consder this

 L <- lapply(1:50000, function(i) array(i:(i+7), c(2,2,2)))
 system.time({final <- L[[1]]
 for(i in seq_along(L)[-1]) final <- final + L[[i]]
 final}  )
#   user  system elapsed
#  0.179   0.002   0.187

 system.time(Reduce("+", L))