That is a fine section of 'The R Inferno'
but I don't think it applies to your problem.

The answer to your question in the subject line
is obviously "yes".  It happens when the matrix
(or more generally any array) is of mode "list".

A useful example of this is in Circle 8.1.8.

http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/R_inferno.pdf

In your case you can do things like:

> M[[1,1]]
[1] "aaa"
> M[[1,2]]
[1] "bbb"
> M[[2,2]]
[1] 0.274498

But not:

> M[[,2]]
Error in M[[, 2]] : invalid subscript type 'symbol'

Pat

On 17/04/2012 05:13, Worik R wrote:
After a lot of processing I get a matrix into M.  I expected each row and
column to be a vector.  But it is a list.

R-Inferno says...

"Arrays (including matrices) can be subscripted with a matrix of positive
numbers. The subscripting matrix has as many columns as there are dimensions
in the array—so two columns for a matrix. The result is a vector (not an
array)
containing the selected items."

My version of R:
version.string R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)

Here is an example...

Qm<- c("aaa", "bbb", "ccc")
DF<- data.frame(Name=sample(Qm, replace=TRUE, size=22), Value=runif(22),
stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
M<- sapply(Qm, function(nm, DF){last(DF[DF[, "Name"]==nm,])}, DF)
class(M)
[1] "matrix"
class(M[,1])
[1] "list"
class(M[1,])
[1] "list"
       aaa       bbb      ccc
Name  "aaa"     "bbb"    "ccc"
Value 0.4702648 0.274498 0.5529691
DF
    Name      Value
1   ccc 0.99948920
2   aaa 0.51921281
3   aaa 0.10803943
4   aaa 0.82265847
5   ccc 0.83237260
6   bbb 0.88250933
7   aaa 0.41836131
8   aaa 0.66197290
9   ccc 0.01911771
10  ccc 0.99994699
11  bbb 0.35719884
12  ccc 0.86274858
13  bbb 0.57528579
14  aaa 0.12452158
15  aaa 0.44167731
16  aaa 0.11660019
17  ccc 0.55296911
18  aaa 0.12796890
19  bbb 0.44595741
20  bbb 0.93024768
21  aaa 0.47026475
22  bbb 0.27449801

Patrick Burns
pbu...@pburns.seanet.com
twitter: @portfolioprobe
http://www.portfolioprobe.com/blog
http://www.burns-stat.com
(home of 'Some hints for the R beginner'
and 'The R Inferno')