On 17/04/2012 7:23 PM, David Bapst wrote:
Hello all,

I was checking the newest update of my library before submitting it to
CRAN, using R 2.15.0 and Rtools for Windows 215 using Rcmd in the Command
Prompt, on my x64 Windows7 laptop. I recently heard that for checking
packages for CRAN submission one should use the option --as-cran;
previously I was submitting packages, so I was trying that for the first
time. The check proceeds fine until it tries running the examples, at which
point it produces the following error message:

>  pkgname<- "paleotree"
>  source(file.path(R.home("share"), "R", "examples-header.R"))
>  options(warn = 1)
>  options(pager = "console")
>  library('paleotree')
Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths())) :
   there is no package called 'Matrix'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'paleotree'
Execution halted

My package depends on ape, but not Matrix. Matrix is installed, though, on
my workstation, as are the other ape dependencies. The check works fine by
default and with the --timings option. What is different about --as-cran
that makes it unable to find Matrix?

This should now be fixed in R-patched and R-devel (revisions 59125 or larger), no need for the workaround I suggested yesterday.

Duncan Murdoch