From: Bert Gunter <gunter.ber...@gene.com>

Cc: Rolf Turner <rolf.tur...@xtra.co.nz>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: [R] introducing R to high school students

I would like to slightly clarify and echo  Rolf's comment:

Excel is a terrible tool for data analysis. Maybe it's a good tool for
keeping track of your car's repair history... but not for data
analysis.

I could go on at great length why, but let me just focus on one aspect
that drives me and other statisticians in my group crazy when we deal
with scientists who send us data in Excel: the data are frequently a
mess!  By this I mean that they are often stored in crazy ways, with
plots and summaries sprinkled around, capital letters and small
letters mixed, missing values coded arbitrarily e.g.(99999 ), and so
forth. As someone I know once commented, it's a puzzle to get the data
extracted in a form susceptible to analysis.

Why is this? -- because Excel enforces no structure. It's
**cell-based** (duhhhh), so users can throw in the data anyway they
see fit, which frequently is pretty unfit.

This is not just a minor issue, imho. Not having data in a reasonable
structure limits what one can do for data analysis and graphics. This
promulgates the inadequate and frequently awful paradigms that one
sees throughout science (e.g. bar charts with 1 se bars sticking up
out of them).

The widespread use of Excel for "serious' scientific and engineering
data analysis is a near  tragedy. All IMHO, of course.

Cheers,
Bert

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Indrajit Sengupta

> Why do you think Excel is a terrible tool? In what ways have you tried to use
> Excel and it has failed you?
>
> Regards,
> Indrajit

Bert Gunter