Alright, I feel stupid now.  That was the problem.  For glm you can use both
successes and failures, while with the negative binomial it is simply a
count.  That is why I was getting the subscript too long message.  I
understand generalized linear models, but I haven't worked with negative
binomial distribution models, so I will read up on it before I try to use
it.  RTFM, right?

I will read about using betabinomial for overdispersed data.

Thanks for your help,

Wade