On 29.04.2012 12:01, ya wrote:
Hi Uwe and Indrajit,

Thank you very much for the response.

Since we are talking about this package, can I ask more about how to use
it to deal with statistical issues please?

I have this data with categorical missing values in it. Now I am trying
to impute them using a function called "mice" from the MICE package.
Here is the "normal" code:

 > library(mice)
 > imp=mice(data, m=100) # data was imputed for 100 times which took
very very long time.

I tried this:

 > library(parallel)
 > mc=4
 > run1=do.call(data,mclapply(seq_len(mc),mice(data,m=10)))
Error in do.call(data, mclapply(seq_len(mc), mice(data, m = 10))) :
'what' must be a character string or a function
In addition: Warning message:
In mclapply(seq_len(mc), mice(data2, m = 10)) :
all scheduled cores encountered errors in user code

See ?do.call
1) for the arguments it expects and
2) for what it does - I doubt you need it here.

I have a intel dual core i5 processor, and there are 4 charts in the
task manager on windows xp(meaning 4 cpus or 4 cores?).

Cores, 2 of them perhaps virtual ones, depends on the Core i5 version.

However, I
failed to figure out how to combine the mice function with the package
"parallel". Any suggestions how I should write the code?

Well, rewriting parts of mice seems to be the only way to let collaborate with package parallel.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

Thank you very much.

ya

On 04/29/2012 10:47 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

On 29.04.2012 09:28, Indr ajit Sengupta wrote:
You don't need quotes in the library statement, you can just use
library(parallel).

Yes, a special (mis-)feature of library(). Since we are trying to
teach R here, we should provide clean R code. In an ideal world, we
would be able to say

pkg <- "parallel"
library(pkg)

doing the same as

library("parallel")

which is unfortunately not possible, because library(pkg) tries a
package called "pkg".

Best,
Uwe Ligges

Regards,