Hi,

I am stuck on something for a couple days, I am almost about to give up.
This looks simple, but I can't figure out. I hope I can get some help here.

I am trying to do some symbolic and numerical derivations. Let me explain
the problem. Let's say, I have a matrix as follows:

> load <- matrix(c(3,0,1,4,1,3),nrow=3,ncol=2,byrow=TRUE)
>
> load
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]    3    0
[2,]    1    4
[3,]    1    3

I will create objects for each element of the matrix, and assign the matrix
elements to these objects. These objects will be also an element of another
matrix.

l <- matrix(nrow=nrow(load),ncol=ncol(load))
for(i in 1:nrow(load)) {
for(j in 1:ncol(load)) { l[i,j]=paste("l",i,j,sep="")}}

     [,1]  [,2]
[1,] "l11" "l12"
[2,] "l21" "l22"
[3,] "l31" "l32"

> l11
[1] 3
> l12
[1] 0
> l21
[1] 1
> l22
[1] 4
> l31
[1] 1
> l32
[1] 3

Let's say, I need to take the derivative of  (l11*l21+l12*l22) with respect
to l11,l12,l21,l22,l31,l32.

> numericDeriv(quote(l11*l21+l12*l22), c(t(l),recursive=TRUE))
[1] 3
attr(,"gradient")
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6]
[1,]    1    4    3    0    0    0

Everything is fine up to this point. I need what I have. But, I don't want
to manipulate the elements in "quote()" manually within the numericDeriv
function. For instance, I want to call these elements from the matrix "l"
as below:

> a <- paste(
+ paste(l[1,1],l[2,1],sep="*"),
+ paste(l[1,2],l[1,2],sep="*"),
+ sep="+"
+ )
[1] "l11*l21+l12*l12"

Now, "a" is a character. Do you have any idea about how to use the
character value "l11*l21+l12*l12" assigned to object "a" within the
numericDeriv function. So, I can get the same result as above without
manipulating the expression in quote() manually.

Thanks

--

Cengiz Zopluoglu