You say median for each panel but tapply gets medians for each variety
(chartjunk IMHO). Regardless, *this case* has nothing to do with
panel.abline. Add print(median.values) to your panel function would have
hinted as to the missing piece.

# medians for each panel:
dotplot(variety ~ yield | site, data = barley,
       scales=list(x=list(log=TRUE)),
       layout = c(1,6),
       panel = function(x,y,...) {
       panel.dotplot(x,y,...)
       median.values <- median(x)
       panel.abline(v=median.values, col.line="red")
})

# medians for each variety
 dotplot(variety ~ yield | site, data = barley,
       scales=list(x=list(log=TRUE)),
       layout = c(1,6),
       panel = function(x,y,...) {
       panel.dotplot(x,y,...)
       median.values <- tapply(x, y, median)
panel.abline(v=median.values, col.line="red")
       }
       )

Cheers