Yes, I've been messing with that. I've also been using the hexView package.
Reading as characters first is just helping me figure out the structure of
this binary file. In this situation it really helped. For example:
   È \001 \002
 200    1    2

This probably isn't how I'll do it in my final draft.

I'm now looking for a date or series of dates in the binary file... I'm
guessing the dates will be represented as 3 integers one for month, day,
and year.  Any help on strategy help here would be great...  I'm reading a
file with a dbs extension if that helps.

Thanks!

ben