Hello Mike,
thank you very much for the information about the projections and the
R-Sig-Geo mailinglist!
For now I solved the problem by getting another shape file with the same
projections so I didn't have to reproject the data sets.
However, I might need this in the future - if so your information will be
of good use to me.
Thanks again!
Marion