On Jun 28, 2012, at 5:03 PM, arun.gurubaramurugeshan wrote:

I am creating a nested for loop and following are the codes I'm using, but I
am not acheiving what I want.

I have a vector

d<-151:159

I have another vector

e<-e<-c("apple", "orange", "banana")

I need to create f as
151apple
151orange
151banana
.
.
159apple
159orange
159banana

I admit that I think Bert's solution is way kewler than mine, but I would not have thought of using interaction() to mimic the "crossed" use of rep()

paste(as.character(rep(d, each=length(e))), rep(e, times=length(d) ), sep="")

(Looking at the code for interaction one sees that this is how it was coded.)

The other R functions to remember for this sort of loop-avoidance are 'outer' and 'expand.grid'.

> outer(d,e,paste, sep="")
     [,1]       [,2]        [,3]
[1,] "151apple" "151orange" "151banana"
[2,] "152apple" "152orange" "152banana"
[3,] "153apple" "153orange" "153banana"
[4,] "154apple" "154orange" "154banana"
[5,] "155apple" "155orange" "155banana"

as.vector( outer(d, e, paste, sep="") )

--
David.

Here is how I wrote nested for loop...

for (i in 1:length(d))
{ for (j in 1:length(e))
{
x[j]<-paste(d[i],e[j],sep="")
print(x[j])
}
}

The result of the above codes is....

for (i in 1:length(d))
+ { for (j in 1:length(e))
+ {
+ x[j]<-paste(d[i],e[j],sep="")
+ print(x[j])
+ }
+ }
[1] "151apple"
[1] "151orange"
[1] "151banana"

What do I need to do this looping produce the desired result.

Thanks
Arun
----

David Winsemius, MD