Hi,
I am trying to connect to an Excel2010 file while another user is entering
data. (Obviously it would be better to set up a SQL database, but this is
not an option at this point.). Typically we are not working on the same
sheets. However, if possible I like to read the most current excel file
into R.

RODBC works great as long as the other user has not open the file. I tried:

channel <- odbcConnectExcel2007("Biosample.xlsx")
channel <- odbcConnectExcel2007("Biosample.xlsx",readOnly = TRUE)

but I do get a windows error message that the file is locked by another
user.

Is there a way to open an excel file with RODBC in "read only" mode?

I am using R2.15 (32bit) on a Microsoft windows server 2003 R2.

Thank you,

Boris