Really appreciate the discussion on outliers.

I come from an engineering signal processing background, and my thinking
has generally been that an outlier is outside a threshold of

   - distance from the mean
   - rarity

that we don't need/want to capture in whatever model we're building.

In my recent work (bioinformatics), I've seen that it's common to Winsorize
the data. I am a bit uncomfortable with this, though it seems to be
standard practice. Do people have thoughts here?

Cheers,
-Gus