optimize(f, interval=c(0, 1))

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Em 26-07-2012 22:13, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) escreveu:
-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-boun...@r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces@r-
project.org] On Behalf Of Diviya Smith
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:50 PM
To: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Solving quadratic equation in R

Sorry it is important for me to constrain the value of 'a' between
c(0,1)

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Diviya Smith
<diviya.sm...@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to solve a simple equation in R

a^2 - a = 8.313

There is no real solution to this problem but I would like to get an
approximate numerical solution. Can someone suggest how I can set
this up?
Thanks in advance,
Diviya

What is your definition of approximate?  For all values of a in the interval
[0,1], a^2-a is less than or equal to 0.  Or am I missing something?

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204