Hello everyone,

I would like to parse very large xml files from MS/MS experiments and
create R objects from their content. (By very large, I mean going up to
5-10Gb, although I am using a 'small' 40M file to test my code.)

My first attempt at parsing the 40M file, using the XML package, took more
than 2200 seconds and left me quite disappointed.
I managed to cut that down to around 40 seconds by:
    -using the 'useInternalNodes' option of the XML package when parsing
the xml tree;
    -vectorizing the parsing (i.e., replacing loops like "for(node in
group.of.nodes) {...}" by "sapply(group.of.node, function(node){...}")
I gained another 5 seconds by making small changes to the functions used
(like replacing 'getNodeset' by 'xmlElementsByTagName' when I don't need to
navigate to the children nodes).
Now I am blocked at around 35 seconds and I would still like to cut this
time by a 5x, but I have no clue what to do to achieve this gain. I'll try
to expose as briefly as possible the relevant structure of the xml file I
am parsing, the structure of the R object I want to create, and the type of
functions I am using to do it. I hope that one of you will be able to point
me towards a better and quicker way of doing the parsing!

Here is the (simplified) structure of the relevant nodes of the xml file:

<model> (many many nodes)
  <protein> (a couple of proteins per model node)
    <peptide> (1 per protein node)
      <domain> (1 or more per peptide node)
        <aa> (0 or more per domain node)
        </aa>
      </domain>
    </peptide>
  </protein>
</model>

Here is the basic structure of the R object that I want to create:

'result' object that contains:
  -various attributes
  -a list of 'protein' objects, each of which containing:
      -various attributes
      -a list of 'peptide' objects, each of which containing:
        -various attributes
        -a list of 'aa' objects, each of which consisting of a couple of
attributes.

Here is the basic structure of the code:

xml.doc <- xmlTreeParse("file", getDTD=FALSE, useInternalNodes=TRUE)
result <- new('S4_result_class')
result@proteins <- xpathApply(xml.doc, "//model/protein",
function(protein.node) {
  protein <- new('S4_protein_class')
  ## fill in a couple of attributes of the protein object using xmlValue
and xmlAttrs(protein.node)
  protein@peptides <- xpathApply(protein.node, "./peptide",
function(peptide.node) {
    peptide <- new('S4_peptide_class')
    ## fill in a couple of attributes of the peptide object using xmlValue
and xmlAttrs(peptide.node)
    peptide@aas <- sapply(xmlElementsByTagName(peptide.node, name="aa"),
function(aa.node) {
      aa <- new('S4_aa_class')
      ## fill in a couple of attributes of the 'aa' object using xmlValue
and xmlAttrs(aa.node)
    })
  })
})
free(xml.doc)

Does anyone know a better and quicker way of doing this?

Sorry for the very long message and thank you very much for your time and
help!

Frederic