1) just because you don't use sqldf doesn't make it better. merge only does the
join, not the conditions, so you have to apply them after merge. Untested (you
should provide a complete example):

result <- merge ( detail, pdetail, by=TDATE, suffixes=c(".a",".b") )
result <- subset ( result, STIM.a >= STIM.b and STIM.a <=MAXTIM.b )

You can add a select argument to subset to remove the pdetail columns.

2) if is different than ifelse ... read the Introduction to R document, and/or
read the help pages on if and ifelse.
DCN:<jdnew...@dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing