Greetings glmmADMB function users,

I am trying to run a series of models using the glmmADMB function with several
different distribution families (e.g., poisson, negbinom). I am using a
Optiplex 790 PC with Windows 7, 16.0 GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system. I
am running R version 2.15.0 and started out using the most recent version of
glmmADMB (I believe version 7.2.15).
My data is zero inflated count data that is overdispersed. When I ran the
following code for either a zero inflated poisson (family="poisson") or a neg
binomial (i.e., family="nbinom"):

fit_zipoiss1 <- glmmadmb(LOCS~D_ROADS + (1|YEAR) , data=FAWNS,
zeroInflation=TRUE, family="poisson", mcmc=TRUE)

I get the error:
Error in glmmadmb(LOCS ~ D_ROADS + (1 | YEAR), data = FAWNS, zeroInflation =
TRUE,  :
The function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file)

I tried setting the number of mcmc iterations by running the following code:
fit_zipoiss <- glmmadmb(LOCS~D_ROADS + (1|YEAR) , data=FAWNS,
zeroInflation=TRUE,
family="poisson", mcmc=TRUE, mcmc.opts=mcmcControl(mcmc=50000))
but again received the same "Function maximizer...." error.

As suggested by previous users (specifically Ben Bolker) I downloaded an
earlier version of glmmADMB ("glmmADMB_0.7.tar.gz") and re-ran the same models
(e.g., poisson and neg. binomial) and received the same error. As suggested by
Mr. Bolker and others I also tried running both a poisson and neg. binomial
model with "admb.opts=admbControl(shess=FALSE,noinit=FALSE) " and received the
same error.
I am not sure if an even older version of glmmADMB (i.e., glmmADMB v. 0.6.5)
would work as it seems to have worked for others but I am unsure of where I can
find this version?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Nate Svoboda

Nathan Svoboda
Graduate Research Assistant
Mississippi State University