Hi Yihui,

Thanks for your quick reply!  Yes, it was a long vacation, but definitely not
long enough  :-).

Seriously, I have not changed my R, my tex engine etc.  Nothing.  And I was
running the command just a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine.  But
now I need to specify this encoding option....

Still puzzled.

Tao