It worked! Thank you very much! I did not know about about the alphabetical
order - trying to run before I can walk. If I can ever help (South American
linguistics is my field), let me know! You certainly helped me bringing my
dissertation into a better shape!
Best wishes,
Neele

> Typo correction - brackets around pch[] and bg[]:
>
> points(map$longitude, map$latitude, pch=pch[as.numeric(map$number)],
>     col="black", bg=bg[as.numeric(map$number)], cex=1.5)
>
> -------
> David

Neele Mueller, M.A.
PhD student
"tense-mood-aspect-marking and evidentiality in South American languages"

Dept. of Linguistics
Erasmusplein 1, kamer E9.23
Radboud University
6525 HT Nijmegen