Dear all,

I am currently trying to create a plot showing multiple single plots, for
which the important issue is that the size of each plot region (not figure
region!) has to be of a fixed dimension (in my case: width=1 inch, height=
0.87 inches).
I tried to use "pin" to fix the plotting region to a specific size, but
without success.

The following example will visualize the problem:

par(mfrow=c(3,4),pin=c(1,0.87),mai=c(0.04,0.04,0.04,0.04),
omi=c(0.2,0.32,0.32,2.16))

plot(1:10,1:10)

plot(10:20,10:20)

plot(20:30,20:30)

plot(30:40,30:40)

plot(2:11,2:11)

plot(11:21,11:21)

plot(21:31,21:31)

plot(31:41,31:41)

plot(3:12,3:12)

plot(12:22,12:22)

plot(22:32,22:32)

plot(32:42,32:42)

--> You can see that the single plots are higher than wide and not
reflecting the size pin=c(1,0.87). The same if you set pin to c(1,1)... you
will not get a plotting region of the size 1 * 1 inch.

(Don't worry about the large white space on the right hand side or the fact
that the labels are printed on top of another figure, this is all easily
solvable)

The question is, do I misunderstand the use of "pin" or is there a bug?

And equally important, does anybody know how I could get this type of plot
in an easy way?

Thank you very much,

Vera

PS: in case it is not clear what I mean with "plotting region", please check
page 6 of the following document
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/Talks/Rgraphics.pdf