you may want to look at "recode" command in car package.
Again as Bert said it depends on what are you trying to achieve.

Best Regards,

Bhupendrasinh Thakre

*Disclaimer :*

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is adressed. If you are not the intended recipient you
are hereby (a) notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
taking any action with respect to the content of this information is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful, and (b) kindly requested to inform
the sender immediately and destroy any copies.