That is right. It is a part of materials engineering. Could say it’s a
standard method in it. Better description is always on Wikipedia :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainflow-counting_algorithm

Have found packs for all other big statistic software like Matlab or Diadem
but none for R. And I thought R can do all instead of making coffee.