Jeff,

My understanding is that the lag command will lag an entire time series.  That
isn't what I'm looking for.

I just want, for example, today, and 5 entries back.

for exmple:

iter <- '2011-05-18'

observations[iter]   # works fine, returns the row at that date.

index(observations[iter[) # just returns the iter back

index(observations[iter]) - 5  # returns "2011-05-17 23:59:57 PDT", so it
subtracted 3 seconds.

really, I want to find:  iter- 5 days.

--
Noah Silverman