Hi again,

It seems that you want the modes to be conserved. This is just not possible; everything will be coerced to characters, as Rui highlighted.

But the question is why do you want to do this? You would loose helpful information (i.e. modes). Maybe there is a better way to do what you want to do.

HTH,
Ivan

--
Ivan CALANDRA