Dear list,

I've recently installed R on a 64 bit machine with 8 GB of RAM. I set this
computer up as a dual-boot system, with windows XP 64 and Ubuntu 7.10. I
downloaded the Linux 64 bit version of R and installed it.

I'm trying to run rather large Random forest models and was running into severe
memory limitations with my old windows 32 bit machines.

When I run Random Forest models on my new machine, I get the error message:
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 2.1 GB.

I'm a new Linux user, but I thought that R under Linux would by default take
advantage of all available memory. I've searched previous posts and found only
1 thread (posted by David Katz) that didn't really help.

Do I need to specify that the Ubuntu/Linux OS use all 8 Gigs of RAM? Could I
have done something wrong when I downloaded and installed R?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Zack