Hello,

I already tried and looked at the bfast package (very nice package by the
way!) as I am working on VI time series as well.

However, my model is definitely not linear, so in worst case scenario my
idea was to use the bfast package to find the breakpoints (with the
harmonic fit) and then to fit the seasonal part in each segment with my
model (so basically almost what you are suggesting - using harmonic to find
breakpoints).
But the breakpoints will not be dependent on my model, so this may be an
issue, isn't it ?

The asymmetric gaussian fit has been recognized as being one of the best
fit for VI time series, and I used this method for periodic fit (so far it
was used only as a smoothing function of the time series, not as a fit for
the seasonal component).

The point would be to combine this method with an iterative breakpoint
method such as bfast to detect abrupt changes, but to do that I need to
find breakpoints in the seasonal trend with a non linear model (that is the
tricky part :) ).

Thanks !