On Nov 25, 2012, at 7:16 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Rui Barradas <ruipbarra...@sapo.pt> wrote:
Hello,

Another possibility is to use argument 'data' explicitly:

A<-lm(GandW ~ Authocracy, data = Data)

Hope this helps,

It's not going to. The line parses very nicely as written, with or
without naming the argument.

The specific error the poster was getting only happens when you have
an input that doesn't parse. I have been having trouble reproducing
that error message but finally managed it by using that weird 'hook'
character in the top-left of my keyboard:

z¬1
Error: unexpected input in "z?"

- which makes me think the link I pointed to about Macs mashing <-
into a single arrow character is the kind of thing that is happening.

I didn't see such behavior here and have never observed it in my use of a Mac. If you remove the non-printing "¬" characters coming from ill-behaved editors on other OSes using text editor, generally things will proceed normally.

We wait....

I suppose we do, but in my experience, that problem on a Mac arises from copy-pasting from web postings from PC sources. Some of the problem characters such as the "¬" from the IBM end-of-line heritage are non-printing on the Mac console. (Do they print on the Linux consoles?. I use Text Wrangler which has a handy ZapGremlins menu choice.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA