thanks again Mehmet - the midicsv utility is in C (of which I am ignorant).
I will have a look at that to see if I can write a native R version. It
only has to do midi_in and midi_out, the rest can be left up to R. That
will take me ages, but I can just use the utility externally for the moment

Greg