Monna Nygård wrote:
No matter how I´ve tried o find a solution for this simple question, I can´t.
Sorry for bothering with such a matter.
I have an excel-files with some empty cells=missing values. How do I tell R that these should be NA´s?
TRFLP1 <-(read.table(file="S://SEDIM//Kokeilu//TRFLP1.txt",col.names= c("Dye_Sample Peak", "Sample_File_Name", "Size", "Height", "Area_in_Point", "Area_in_BP",
"Data_Point", "Begin_Point", "Begin_BP", "End_Point", "End_BP", "Width_in_Point", "Width_in_BP", "1" ), header=F , dec = ",", )Error in scan(file, what,
nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,  :   line 1743 did not have 14 elements

I believe the error occurs becouse line 1743 has an empty cell. How do I read in the file without first checking for missing values and changing them to NAs myself?
Hi Monna,
read.table has an argument "na.strings" that allows you to specify what will be read as a missing value. Setting this to na.strings="" should get you there.

Jim