I've been using the randomForest package and getting very useful
results for some time now.

I have a question pertaining to variable interactions. Since, unlike
CART, no single tree representative of the solution is available, I
was wondering if there was some way of discerning / identifying
potential interactions in the data. I'll sometimes produce 2-way
partial dependence plots but I select variables for these plots
somewhat arbitrarily (i.e. without prior suggestion of interaction).

On BreimansÂ’ website he mentions an experimental approach to identify
interactions. I know this has come up before, a couple years ago, and
Andy Liaw noted it was not implemented in part due to its experimental
nature.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for detecting interactions
using the randomForest package (In an analogous manner to Breimans'
suggestion or another approach).

Many Thanks,
Joe Retzer