Hi Doug: I was just looking at this coincidentally. When X is a vector, the
Fisher Information I_{theta} = the negative expectation of the second
derivatives of the log likelihood. So it's a matrix.  In other words,
I_theta = E(partial^2 /partial theta^2(log(X,theta).) where X is a vector.

But, even though the the Fisher Information has a seemingly nice formula, (
and this is where my confusion arose when I was dealing with this and why
I'm looking at it right
now. I have  short document that I wrote to myself  explaining it so if
anyone wants it, email me individually. It's nothing earth shattering !!!!!
) in many cases taking the that expectation is not easy so the  Fischer
Information is approximated by its empirical counterpart which is obtained
by summing each of the elements in the matrix given the n observations and
then dividing each of the elements in the matrix by n.