Thanks for your commands, Ivan and Michael! However, I am still not
producing the right codes. Would you please help me on this? I've written
the following codes. Please comment. Thank you very much.

Task: Reading data1.dat to data1000.dat (with missing files) into R.
Missing files can be omitted in the list.

###FUNCTION TO READ FILES
little_helpful <- function(n) {
file_name <- paste0("C:/.../data", n, ".dat")
read.table(file_name)
}

###RETURN AN OBJECT WHICH CHECKS FOR THE EXISTENCE OF FILES
check  <- function(n) {
a <- ifelse(file.exists(paste0("C:/.../data", n, ".dat")), 1, 0)
}
###Combining the functions
IMPORT <- function(n) {
   L <- check(1:n)
   for (i in 1:n) {
      if (L[i] == 1)
      list_of_datasets <- lapply(i, little_helpful) else list_of_datasets
<- 0
      }
   list_of_datasets
   }