This is FAQ 7.21.  The most important part of that answer is at the end
where it says that it is better to use a list.  Your code could be
something like:

plotroc <- list()
for (i in levels(mergeTrn$Continent) {
  # matrix defined here
  plotroc[[ paste("plotroc_GBM_TRN_",i, sep="") ]] <- matrix
}

now all of your created matrices are in the plotroc list (or whatever you
want to call it) and can be operated on using functions like sapply and
lapply.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Kumar Mainali <kpmain...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a situation when I need to save matrix with file names that are
> programmatically created.
>
> for (i in levels(mergeTrn$Continent)) {
>         matrix here....
>
> # I want to save this matrix with a file name that carries "i" from for
> loop. The following does not work.
> paste("plotroc_GBM_Trn_", i, sep="") <- matrix
>
> }
>
> Thanks,
> Kumar
>
> --